Northampton Area Pediatrics, LLP
193 Locust Street 
Northampton, MA 01060
413-584-8700
413-584-1714 (fax)

View map and directions

View the KidsDoc Symptom Checker from HealthyChildren.org


Parent Resources

An online resource center providing you with additional helpful information.

 

Choosing a pediatrician is an important and personal decision and we want you to feel at ease with the care you and your child will receive.

Archive:

Tags

 
Join our mailing list!
Holiday Hours
2019
New Year's Day
Tuesday, January 1
9:00am to 5:00pm
urgent care only
 
Martin Luther King Day
Monday, January 21
9:00am to 5:00pm
urgent care only
 
Presidents' Day
Monday, February 18
9:00am to 5:00pm
urgent care only
 
Memorial Day
Monday, May 27
9:00am to 5:00pm
urgent care only
 
Independence Day
Thursday, July 4
9:00am to 5:00pm
urgent care only
 
Labor Day
Monday, September 2
9:00am to 5:00pm
urgent care only
 
Columbus Day
Monday, October 14
9:00am to 5:00pm
urgent care only
 
Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, November 28
9:00am to 12:00pm
urgent care only
 
Christmas Eve
Tuesday, December 24
8:00am to 5:00pm
 
Christmas Day
Wednesday, December 25
11:00am to 2:00pm
urgent care only
 
New Year's Eve
Tuesday, December 31
8:00am to 5:00pm
 
By contactus@napeds.com
August 23, 2012
Category: In the News
Tags: Untagged

Warning!  Swallowed Magnets are Dangerous!

Source: North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Neteios

Powerful, rare earth (neodymium) magnets are widely available in consumer and industrial products including desk toys,  office toys, childrens' toys, office supplies, jewelry, pain relief products, and machines and tools.

These magnets usually are small in size and round in shape, like BBs or ball bearings.  Magnet ball brand names include BuckyBalls™ and Neocube™.  Though intended for adult use, they are difficult to keep out of the reach of children because they are shiny and attractive to toddlers.  They are also used by “tweens” and teens to mimic body piercing jewelry.  Extremely powerful magnetic attractions are produced by these. 

When more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnetic force can bring two pieces of intestine tightly together, and make holes in the intestines.  Magnet ingestion can lead to bowel injury, blockage or severe infection.  There are over 200 documented cases of children swallowing these magnets.  Most require emergency procedures for removal and some require major surgery.

What can parents do?

·        Keep tiny ultra-powerful magnets out of the reach of infants and toddlers

·        Educate your older children and teens about the risks of swallowing these magnets.  These magnets are not children’s toys.

·        If your toddler or child swallows these magnets, immediately call your doctor or go to the emergency department

Comments:






Questions or Comments?
We encourage you to contact us whenever you have an interest about our services.