Northampton Area Pediatrics, LLP
193 Locust Street 
Northampton, MA 01060
413-584-8700
413-584-1714 (fax)

View map and directions

View the KidsDoc Symptom Checker from HealthyChildren.org


Parent Resources

An online resource center providing you with additional helpful information.

 

Choosing a pediatrician is an important and personal decision and we want you to feel at ease with the care you and your child will receive.

Archive:

Tags

 
Join our mailing list!

Holiday Hours
2019
Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, November 28
9:00am to 12:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Christmas Eve
Tuesday, December 24
8:00am to 5:00pm

Christmas Day
Wednesday, December 25
11:00am to 2:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

New Year's Eve
Tuesday, December 31
8:00am to 5:00pm

 

2020

New Year’s Day

Tuesday, January 1

9:00am to 5:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Martin Luther King Day

Monday, January 20

9:00am to 5:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Presidents’ Day

Monday, February 17

9:00am to 5:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Memorial Day

Monday, May 25

9:00am to 5:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Independence Day (Observed)

Friday, July 3

9:00am to 5:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Labor Day

Monday, September 7

9:00am to 5:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Columbus Day

Monday, October 12

9:00am to 5:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Thanksgiving Day

Thursday, November 26

9:00am to 12:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

Christmas Eve

Thursday, December 24

8:00am to 5:00pm

 

Christmas Day

Friday, December 25

11:00am to 2:00pm

Urgent Care Only 

 

New Year’s Eve

Thursday, December 31

8:00am to 5:00pm

By contactus@napeds.com
August 23, 2012
Category: In the News
Tags: Untagged

Warning!  Swallowed Magnets are Dangerous!

Source: North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Neteios

Powerful, rare earth (neodymium) magnets are widely available in consumer and industrial products including desk toys,  office toys, childrens' toys, office supplies, jewelry, pain relief products, and machines and tools.

These magnets usually are small in size and round in shape, like BBs or ball bearings.  Magnet ball brand names include BuckyBalls™ and Neocube™.  Though intended for adult use, they are difficult to keep out of the reach of children because they are shiny and attractive to toddlers.  They are also used by “tweens” and teens to mimic body piercing jewelry.  Extremely powerful magnetic attractions are produced by these. 

When more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnetic force can bring two pieces of intestine tightly together, and make holes in the intestines.  Magnet ingestion can lead to bowel injury, blockage or severe infection.  There are over 200 documented cases of children swallowing these magnets.  Most require emergency procedures for removal and some require major surgery.

What can parents do?

·        Keep tiny ultra-powerful magnets out of the reach of infants and toddlers

·        Educate your older children and teens about the risks of swallowing these magnets.  These magnets are not children’s toys.

·        If your toddler or child swallows these magnets, immediately call your doctor or go to the emergency department

Comments:






Questions or Comments?
We encourage you to contact us whenever you have an interest about our services.