Lactation Services at Northampton Area Pediatrics
The providers of Northampton Area Pediatrics understand how important it is to take care of both the newborn infant and the mother following birth. Some mothers find breastfeeding challenging, particularly during the first few weeks. An IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant) can help eliminate barriers to breastfeeding, provide education, prevent problems, and enhance the mother’s confidence, as well as assist with latching and positioning, and managing infant feeding.
Primary care providers collaborate with our IBCLC to provide breastfeeding management and support to parenting families in order to promote best practice protocols for infant nutrition and family health.
How can I access these services at Northampton Area Pediatrics?
- Newborn visits: the lactation consultant will meet with you at your child’s first visit or within the first week.
- Infant weight checks: weight can be monitored during a visit with the lactation consultant, or lactation consultant may be asked to join visit by provider.
- Lactation Consultations: if additional assessment and support are necessary, you may choose to schedule an extended consultation with the lactation consultant. This is a self-pay service, the cost of $75 will be collected at time of service. A receipt in the mother’s name will be provided at the time of service for you to submit for possible insurance reimbursement.
- Phone Support
- Message through the MyChart Patient Portal
- Virtual Visits
- Breastfeeding Resources
- Breastfeeding Support Groups
Please speak with your child’s provider to learn more or call (413) 584-8700 to contact the lactation consultant. To learn more about our Lactation Consultant, Kate Bohne.