In 1978, I began a solo practice of what was to become Northampton Area Pediatrics. I was fortunate to be quickly joined in those early years by two wonderful pediatricians, Dr. Robert Bissell and Dr. Catherine Bartlett. Our medical group has grown since that time with additional superb pediatricians and dedicated nurse practitioners joining us to serve the children and families of Hampshire County.
In 2019, I reduced my hours at Northampton Area Pediatrics to allow more time to enjoy our grandchildren, sail, spend time at our home in Ireland, and travel to other parts of the world. In the late Spring of 2019, I was very fortunate to be able to hike the Camino de Santiago through the French Pyrenees and across northern Spain with our two daughters. At this time, the current pandemic has unfortunately made it difficult to safely stay in hostels along the route. But I hope to someday return again to travel parts of the Camino pilgrimage with my wife Donna and perhaps our grandchildren.
I have been privileged to be the primary care physician for so many wonderful children and their families over the past 40+ years. Although my reduced schedule does not allow me to continue to serve as the primary care physician for any children, I enjoy seeing NAP children and families through telehealth visits as needed. In addition, I serve on the Board of Directors of the PPOC, our Boston Children’s Hospital primary care network, as well as help PPOC pediatricians to maintain their personal wellness.
- Undergraduate: Providence College, BS, 1967
- Medical School: Harvard Medical School, 1971
- Graduate: University of Massachusetts, MPH, 1989
- Internal Medicine Internship: Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital, 1971-1972
- Metropolitan General Hospital, and Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital, Cleveland, OH, 1972-1973
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, 1973-1974
- LCDR USN/MC at Quantico, VA, Marine Corps Officers Base 1974-1976
Memberships and Certifications
- Board Certified by the American Board of Pediatrics
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member, Board of Directors, Pediatric Physicians of Children’s
- Delegate, Massachusetts Medical Society
- Member, Pediatric Council, Massachusetts Chapter of the AAP
- Past Chief of Pediatrics, Cooley Dickinson Hospital
- American Medical Association
- Travel and hiking